Good or Bad for the Jews

"Good or Bad for the Jews"

Many years ago, and for many years, I would travel to Morocco to visit uncles, cousins, and my paternal grandmother. Some lived in Tangiers;...

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Hitting the Road

Our annual road trip to northern California is coming up. We will be loading up the ol' Expedition and heading up to the Sacramento area to hang out with my son, his wife, and their daughter. Somewhere I read that that makes me a grandfather, but I believe nothing in the media since I consider myself still 25 years old . . . .

I will have the ancient IPAD with me, for what good that does. So might write something or another, but can't promise it. Don't worry you'll get a refund.

Before I sign off, I must say, yet again, that I am feeling optimistic about Pres-elect Trump. He has picked some good people--I think Pence, in particular, is showing his worth--and he seems bound and determined to live up to his promises on Obamacare, tax reform, etc. I was impressed with how he followed up with Carrier and got them to stay in the USA instead of moving their plant to Mexico. I also think his "thank you" tour is a superb idea and shows that he has not forgotten the folks who elected him. He also shows a remarkable ability to troll the left with his tweets and to expose them for the hypocrites and low-info people they are. Masterful.

OK. On my way . . . well, in a couple of hours--after I watch some sic-fi on TV. Since I met the inventor of the time machine, I have been hopelessly addicted to time travel movies and books.  

13 comments:

  1. Have a good trip! Will be looking for your post.

    Kent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your family time. You have earned it. I will put up with the dead air, as I know when you resume, it will be worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That refund you'll be giving -- I'll bet it will be larger than the one the Clinton Crime Foundation will give!

    Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must have a very comfortable retirement from the State Dept as you have multiple homes and plenty of time to travel between them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In other words, "time to go annoy my children with my retired idleness by just hanging around spoiling their kids!" :)
    I know this gambit... I have to keep my family moving during these times, or my kids' grandparents will catch up with us!

    - reader #1482

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hitting the road....for a moment there I got a mental picture of the opening scene of the old "Beverley Hillbillies" show from way back when!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Put not your trust in princes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a nice trip. Sacramento is not the most exciting place but it is better to go this time than in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you like time travel novels, here are three recommendations:

    (a) The primordial novelette by H.G. Wells, "The Time Machine," long out of copyright and available for download.

    (b) L. Sprague de Camp, "Lest Darkness Fall," a novel written in the 1930s and still in print. (The initial scene is set in then-contemporary Rome and there are references to the administration, aka Mussolini, that take one by surprise.)

    (c) Gregory Benford, "Timescape," written sometime in the 1980s. Winner of the Nebula Award for best SF novel of the year by the trade association of SF writers, and the best description of how science is done that I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All excellent recommendations! Don't forget my favorite, The Door into Summer by R.A. Heinlein (1957.)

      Delete
  10. California is one of those places I'm not optimistic about. I think there will be major conflict ahead. Hope you have a safe trip and a pleasant visit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Safe journey, and I hope the Taxman doesn't get you (always a concern, anywhere in CA.)

    Also, don't forget to pack some grocery shopping bags, since we are now Green (around the gills) and have to bring our own to the markets (or pay extra for them, proceeds going to the gooberment, of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I originally wasn't very optimistic about Trump doing much right (of course, he was always preferable to the alternative from the other party - and most of the alternatives from the Republicans). The first pleasant surprise was his list of potential Supreme Court justices, but something that really got my attention was his selection of Mike Pence as his running mate. I fully expected him to pick someone out of left field (or maybe right field, as the case may be), or (more likely) he picked someone (Rubio) that just would just completely undermine his message on immigration.

    I still don't think Trump is a big win for conservatives (doubt he will actually do much, if anything, to shrink the size and influence of government), but I am starting to see the potential for a lot of "small" wins, and sometimes you just have to take what you can get (and enjoy the little moments).

    Even if he turns out no better than the average Republican, the next four years will still be worth it just to watch how he drives the other party even crazier than usual (and doesn't care, which is actually the best part of the whole package).

    ReplyDelete