Good or Bad for the Jews

"Good or Bad for the Jews"

Many years ago, and for many years, I would travel to Morocco to visit uncles, cousins, and my paternal grandmother. Some lived in Tangiers;...

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

A Little Post-Taxes Fun: 1911 Colt Competition Stainless in 38 Super

Well, friends, as did all of you, I have paid my taxes for 2018. I am not happy. I had an enormous tax bill; I just hope all those illegal aliens enjoy all the stuff I provide them. So, in anticipation of April 15, I decided to get myself something a bit more fun than another IRS form. Why, yes, it does mean yet another handgun joining the family. 

Two friends, one Aussie and one Mexican, had for years told me about the glories of the 38 Super. I didn't pay much attention as surely nothing could compete with the .45 ACP, especially a 1911 chambered in that righteous round.  

Well, things happen. In a blue funk thinking about my money going to Uncle Sam, I started reading about the 38 Super, and got intrigued by its history in shooting competitions, and by the generally positive things professional shooters had to say about the cartridge. I watched a lot of videos comparing the 9mm, .40, .45, and the 38 Super. I grew more and more interested; never having shot, much less owned, one of these rare birds, I headed over to my favorite gun store in Wilmington (Backwater Guns.) As they didn't have one hanging about, I ordered one. Three or four days later, it arrived straight from the Colt factory, giving off that new gun smell.

Here it is: 




The eagle-eyed among you will notice that the slide looks dirty. Yes, indeed. I snapped this picture right after we got back from the range in Raleigh. No more new gun smell.

I ran just over 220 rounds of Sig .38 Super +P 125 grain FMJ through it. I had two fail-to-feed incidents both with the same expensive after-market magazine, and both on the last round. I put that mag aside, and the day proceeded without incident. In fact, it proceeded beautifully!

The gun is simply an amazing and very sweet shooter. It has a superb trigger, and great ergonomics--that is a fancy word for the grip is real good. The thing stays on target as if glued there. I provide some proof of that with the following image:



This shows the results of about 30 rounds at ten yards on a two second timer (i.e., the target faces you for two seconds; then flips sideways for five seconds; then returns to face you for two seconds, etc.)

I brought along my trusty 45 S&W MP 2.0 for comparison and--believe it or not--the Colt outshot the S&W--and that S&W shoots very well. The main difference, in my totally unqualified opinion, being the trigger; the Colt trigger is far superior even to the improved trigger in the 2.0. The other factor, perhaps, might be the caliber; much less recoil with the Colt.

I hate to admit that my Aussie and Mexican friends were right--I'll never hear the end of it--but honesty compels me to announce my love for the 38 Super. I would carry it, but this 1911 is just a little too big.

OK, now back to the depressing world . . .

16 comments:

  1. i am glad you had good luck with the round. I have pondered getting one myself. You word is good enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul Harrell, who I have followed and met has this to say about 38 super. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUxlL4X9jmg Don't worry you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dip if you keep buying "toys" at the rate you are you will need an armoury not a house.

    I'm a little old fashioned as I still yearn for the .38 revolver I carried while in uniform but with our gun laws I can't justify the posession.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did my wife tell you to say that?

      I, too, love revolvers, especially .357.

      Delete

  4. What will be the result of the gun grabbers pursuing their mania to negate Americans ability to use guns to protect themselves from criminals and the threat of an oppressive government ... and the 2nd Amendment to our Constitution’s guarantees?

    There is really only one possible resolution ... if the gun grabbers eventually have their way, we Americans will only be allowed to keep and bear muskets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But remember, muskets were at one time weapons of war . . .

      Delete
  5. That is some pretty fair shootin' on the Diplotarget, Mr. Mad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are looking to relocate in 36 months.
    I have read that you have two homes; one in Durham and one in Wilmington. Why is that?
    We are looking for a place where people will leave us alone and yet be close to our Grandchildren in VA BCH.
    I'm calling out to the Diplomat community to help us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel threatened! What have us Vols done to you?

    Narr

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice groupings. Everyone a center-mass kill shot (center mass of target, center mass of head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just lucky those targets don't shoot back.

      Delete
  9. The 38 Super is a great cartridge and has a huge following in any serious pistol competitor.
    Another FYI, due to cartridge size and regulation,south of the border most folks use the 38 super as it is the largest cartridge they can use.
    In a quote I read the other day it stated when they find dead bodies north of the border and there are 38 super cartridges involved they are almost 100% certain it is a cartel hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I certainly was impressed by it, at least when fired from a 1911. Do you think it would penetrate a printed copy of the Mueller report?

      Delete
  10. D'Mad,

    An alternate target suggested itself yesterday. I was at Williams Sonoma, and they were promoting some spring/Easter table settings. The plates all had images of rabbits on them. Now, if one were to find those plates at an outlet shop with a good discount, they'd make lovely targets, wouldn't they?

    Green Bear

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a Colt 1911 .380 which is a nice CCW gun, I think. No problem with grabbers in AZ yet but Mr Gabby Giffords is trying to run for the Senate,

    ReplyDelete