Good or Bad for the Jews

"Good or Bad for the Jews"

Many years ago, and for many years, I would travel to Morocco to visit uncles, cousins, and my paternal grandmother. Some lived in Tangiers;...

Wednesday, August 26, 2020

On the Range

A little break from politics.

I finally made it out to the local gun range. Not very long there as I didn't want to eat too much into my ammo supplies. Took three of my new guns: Ruger 57, Colt Python 357, STI Staccato P 2011. Just didn't have enough 9mm to take along my new CZ-75--next time.

All of them shot extremely well. Any one is a great purchase.

I never had shot a 5.7mm pistol, and was pleasantly surprised by the Ruger. It's something of a bear to load the mags; the ammo is VERY sharp (like baby AR-15 5.56mm rounds) and will shred your thumb. I finally got a loader and that helped. It shoots very flat, very fast, very reliably, and very accurately. I leave it to those more knowledgeable than I as to whether the 5.7 round is a good carry round. The gun comes with a 30-rd mag and a 21-rd mag. That should be enough to handle most situations but I don't know about the stopping power. Comments?

The 2020 Python? What can I say? It's a Colt Python! About time Colt starting making them again.  Beautiful looking gun. Phenomenally smooth trigger and accurate. Lotta fun even if I wasn't shooting my relatively scarce .357; I stuck with 38 special. Very nice gun all around, but I don't think I would make it my carry gun. Kinda big, even the 4.25 inch barrel. Six rounds? Enough? You decide.

I think the winner overall was the STI 2011. I had one mag with 20 rounds and another with 17. This has to be the most accurate 9mm on the market--it might even beat my Wilsons, I will have to test them head-to-head to make sure. Even I was having a hard time getting out of the center of the target. No six o'clock position; bury the front sight in the center of the target and that's where the round goes! This thing did not want me to miss; burned almost 200 rounds (much more than I meant to, but it was such fun; don't tell the Diplowife) and not a single jam or misfire of any kind. Wonderful gun. Texans make good stuff. Good looking, "lightish," not too big, high capacity, and accurate. My new carry gun . . . for now.

Back to the Convention.

 

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The comment above is a ATM card scam spam. So, don't panic that it got deleted.

    Lewis, the best carry gun I have found is the one I will actually carry. I have a number of candidates and have tried them all in various holster configurations. I found that I just kept going back to a Seecamp .380 in a pocket holster. It has become the pistol I carry because I actually do carry it. I get chided for carrying a mouse gun, and I ask them where is that .45, oh at home I see....

    I live the leftist hell,Portland, and there is a very real chance that printing or exposing a handgun here is dangerous. "Karen" will call the very Police that she spends her evening screaming about how we should get rid of them. I find it funny that every time some of the Antifa kids get into trouble with a Civilian they automatically start crying for the police to come to their aid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't fired the Ruger, but the FiveseveN is laser-accurate, and the low recoil allows multiple shots on target quickly. From what I've read, the Ruger is a match for it.
    I like the fact that the FiveseveN is easy for my girlfriend to handle.

    Is it an effective round? Plenty of evidence that says it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I might just go back to the Ruger 57. The Staccato is considerably heavier; the lighter Ruger pulls down my pants a bit less. Always a consideration . . .

      Delete
    2. I think the only knock on a FiveseveN as a carry pistol is its length, and the Ruger is even longer.

      I'm only 5'9", though, someone over 6' probably could carry it on a hip with no problem.

      Delete